Thanks for the tips guys on downclocking the memory. Finally got it to work with the latest AB (2.2.4) and the 12.8 CCC/AMD drivers:
1. Add the overclocking unoffical overclocking stuff the the cfg file (level 2 and the warning note).
2. Copy atipdl64.dll and atipdlxx.dll into the Afterburner install directory. You can get the DLL's from post 33 of the following thread: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=359671&page=2
3. Delete the VEN_* files from the AB profiles directory.
4. Start AB, say no to reboot, drag the mem clock as low as it will go. Hit apply.
5. Close AB and start over at step 3.
The key is the DLL files. AMD no longer is including those in the CCC releases. Without those Afterburner will show 0 for the core and mem clocks if you enable overclocking mode.
I bumped my memory down the 300 mhz. My wattage from the wall has went from bouncing around at 550 - 570 watts to a steady 490 watts. My mega-hash dropped about 10 Mh/s per card. GPU temps went down about 5 c.